All Schools Section Members,
We have an opportunity to make our voices be heard as CTRSs in the school systems. The new Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVoss, is requesting feedback regarding a new IDEA website. See the link below to participate:
The government is seeking feedback on the IDEA’s new website. Please see: https://sites.ed.gov/osers/2017/03/department-of-education-seeks-comments-on-new-idea-website/?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=
They are interested in having the following questions answered (I have provided sample answers to help generate ideas of how you may want to respond):
1. What are the resources you use most often at IDEA.ed.gov?
- As a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) and a related service provider for individuals with special needs with IEPs, I use IDEA.ed.gov to find current information to support Therapeutic Recreation services being offered in school systems. I most often encourage other educators, families, and students to search the related services sections of the IDEA legislation to discover that Therapeutic Recreation is a related service to which all students with special needs are entitled.
2. What additional information and/or functionality would you like to see included in the new IDEA site?
- I would like to see a greater highlight, and as a result, advocacy for all the possible related services legally available to students with special needs in the school systems, especially Therapeutic Recreation as a related service.
3. Your title or role/designation (such as student, parent, educator, advocate, counselor, etc.), to help us gain a better understanding of who uses IDEA.ed.gov.
- Role: IEP Related Service Provider, Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS), Recreational Therapist
Please take this opportunity to advocate for the supportive legislation and marketing of our profession’s role in the schools!
Thank you ☺
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Heidi Hunter or Tom House at email@example.com.